Professional Development Policy Workshop for Engineers
6 December 2012, The Royal Academy of Engineering
The Centre for Science and Policy, in partnership with the Royal Academy of Engineering, is organising a Professional Development Policy Seminar for early career engineers on 6 December 2012. This seminar will bring together early career researchers, introducing them to the opportunities and realities of engaging with policy.
Session 1: Presentations from academics who have been engaged in the policy process
Academics discuss the role they play in advising policy – how the process worked and the challenges they face – to an audience of early career researchers and policy makers.
Session 2: Break-out and report-back session
Early career researchers (with help from the academics) break into groups to discuss their ideas for improving the policy process, and feed their conclusions back to a panel of policy makers.
Session 3: Response from policy makers
The panel of policy makers responds to the earlier discussions and feedback from early career researchers, and discusses how science advice is sought. They will also provide advice to early career researchers on how the science community might best engage with policy makers.
- 10:30 Arrival and Coffee
- 11:00 Welcome and Introductions (Dr Robert Doubleday, Executive Director, CSaP)
- 11:10 Session 1: Presentations from academics who are/have been involved in the policy process
- 12:00 Q&A
- 12:30 Lunch
- 13:30 Session 2: Group session – early career researchers consider how the policy process could be improved
- 14:15 Feedback to panel of policy makers
- 14: 30 Session 3: Response from policy makers
- 15:20 Q&A and discussion
- 16:15 Wrap up
- 16:30 Drinks & networking
- 17:30 Close
Confirmed speakers include
- Professor Brian Collins, Chair on Engineering Policy, Faculty of Engineering Science, University College London
- Dr Robert Doubleday, Executive Director, Centre for Science and Policy (Chair)
- Philip Guildford, Director of Research, Cambridge University Engineering Department (Chair)
- Dame Sue Ion, Chairman of the Membership Review Committee, Royal Academy of Engineering
- Dr Leila Luheshi, Senior Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge
- Richard Ploszek, Senior Policy Advisor, Royal Academy of Engineering
- Dr Graeme Reid, Head of Research Funding, Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- Dr Kai Ruggieri, Senior Analyst, Health Team, RAND Europe
- Dr Anna Stephenson, Engineer, Strategy and Evidence Group, Department of Energy and Climate Change
Royal Academy of Engineering
3 Carlton House Terrace
Who should attend
The purpose of the seminar is to bring together policy makers and researchers working on engineering related issues, who wish to engage in discussion and debate and think longer term about career paths and goals.
How to apply
This seminar has been designed for an audience of early career engineers - post docs, PhD students and early career lecturers. If you would like to take part, please sign up here. For more information, please contact Jackie Ouchikh at email@example.com or call 01223 768392.