Deputy Government Chemist, LGC
Selvarani joined LGC in 1991 after graduating from King’s College, London. Her career began as a Scientific Officer in the Food and Nutrition Group where she had responsibility for the determination of trace elements in foods.
In addition to current role as Business Manager for Food Research, Selvarani is the UK Deputy Government Chemist. She now has over 20 years experience in the analysis of food and agriculture samples for authenticity, contaminants, additives, composition and nutritional analysis.
Selvarani sits on several committees and manages work in key areas:
- RSC AMC Nitrogen factors sub-committee
- CODEX ALIMENTARIUS WORKING PARTY CCMAS (Codex Committee on Methods of Analysis)
- National Codex Consultative Committee (NCCC) for the Codex Committee meeting on Fats and Oils (CCFO)
- RSC’s Mastership of Chemical Analysis Examinations Board
- Chair of Defra’s authenticity methods working group
- Leads work relating to LGC’s role as UK National Reference Laboratory for added water in poultry
- Leads work relating to LGC’s role as UK National Reference Laboratory for feed additives