Deputy Director, Policy Profession Unit, Department for Education
Policy Fellow, Centre for Science and Policy
Richard has headed up the Policy Profession Unit for UK Government since October 2013, responsible for coordinating our collective efforts to professionalise policy making and build a clearer structure around such diverse work.
During this time Richard has also been the Deputy Head of Policy Profession in the Department of Health and Social Care and is now responsible for policy capability in DfE.
Between 2015 and March 2019 he also led on Parliamentary & EU capability.
2010 -2013 he was Head of Learning and Development at the Department of Energy & Climate Change.
Prior to working in the Civil Service Richard held a broad range of public service roles including:
- Programme Director of a change programme redesigning homeless services nationally
- Service development in homeless services, drugs & alcohol services, and local authority housing
- Built a capacity building social enterprise across the voluntary sector
- delivered multi award winning Organisational Development and HR consultancy services
- Benefits advice and Job Seekers Allowance implementation
Richard is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development with masters’ qualifications in both public policy and personal development.