Deputy Director - Policy & Strategy Profession Lead, OFGEM
Policy Fellow, Centre for Science and Policy
Richard Banks is Deputy Director - Policy & Strategy Profession Lead at OFGEM. His role includes:
• Lead the organisational design and development of a highly skilled policy and strategy cadre to support Ofgem transformation and commitment to consumers
• Build and develop credible multi-disciplinary team working practices, organisational development, and deployment to deliver a flexible operating model and effective people development for Ofgem’s profession centred organisational design
• Lead effective knowledge sharing across highly motivated, committed professional cadres across Ofgem and beyond
• Build energy strategy and policy professional development programmes
• Support cross government and other partners collaborations in relevant public policy areas, including act as chair of the Policy Apprenticeship Trailblazer group, support government work on policy professional qualifications, networks and comparative analysis and problem solving across nations
During this time Richard has also been the Deputy Head of Policy Profession in the Department of Health and Social Care and is now responsible for policy capability in DfE.
Between 2015 and March 2019 he also led on Parliamentary & EU capability.
2010 -2013 he was Head of Learning and Development at the Department of Energy & Climate Change.
Prior to working in the Civil Service Richard held a broad range of public service roles including:
- Programme Director of a change programme redesigning homeless services nationally
- Service development in homeless services, drugs & alcohol services, and local authority housing
- Built a capacity building social enterprise across the voluntary sector
- delivered multi award winning Organisational Development and HR consultancy services
- Benefits advice and Job Seekers Allowance implementation
Richard is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development with masters’ qualifications in both public policy and personal development.