Permanent Secretary, Department for Education (DfE)
Policy Leaders Fellow, Centre for Science and Policy
Susan Acland-Hood has been the Permanent Secretary at the Department for Education (DfE) since September 2020.
Susan’s previous roles in government include:
- Chief Executive at HM Courts and Tribunals Service - 2016 to 2020
- Director of Enterprise and Growth at HM Treasury - 2015 to 2016
- Director of Education and Funding at the Department for Education - 2013 to 2015
- Policy Advisor on home affairs and justice, and then education policy at Number 10
- Head of Strategy at the Home Office
She has also held senior roles in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and in the Social Exclusion Unit. Her civil service career began in 1999 at the Department for Education and Employment.