Civil Contingencies Secretariat (CCS), Cabinet Office
The CCS, part of the National Security Secretariat, supports the Prime Minister and Cabinet, and leads the wider government effort, on civil emergency planning and response.
Particular policy responsibilities of the CCS are:
- The National Risk Assessment and National Risk Register (identifying and assessing risks to national safety and security arising from terrorism, major industrial accidents and natural hazards, over 5 years)
- The National Security Risk Assessment (identifying global risks to UK security interests, in a 5 to 20 year timeframe)
- Leading a cross-government resilience capabilities programme to improve public sector response to such emergencies
- Contingency planning and capability building for the risks of catastrophic emergencies
- Policy for secure and resilient national infrastructure, and corporate resilience in the private sector.